If you are…
Thinking about starting a new organization:
- Be sure to take a look at the Institute for Nonprofit News’s Startup Guide and attend INN’s monthly virtual info sessions for those looking to start new nonprofit news orgs. (You can see INN’s events calendar here).
- Keep an eye on LION Publisher’s in-progress Oasis project, which will be a guide for those looking to begin new local news startups.
An existing for-profit organization thinking about converting to a nonprofit:
- INN offers fiscal sponsorship for new organizations or existing organizations looking to convert to 510(c)(3) nonprofit status.
- The Salt Lake Tribune is considered by many to be the first legacy newspaper to convert to nonprofit status. You can take an in-depth look at their conversion process here.
A local nonprofit news organization:
- If you’re already an INN member and haven’t yet filled out AJP’s inquiry form, please first take a look at our page outlining AJP’s criteria. At the bottom of that page, you’ll find a link to our inquiry form, which will allow our team to learn more about your organization.
- You can also take a look at our current grantees to get an initial idea of the types of organizations and leaders that we’re interested in working with.
Where to learn more
INN’s mission is to “provide education and business support services to our nonprofit member organizations and promote the value and benefit of public-service and investigative journalism.”
LION serves both for-profit and nonprofit digital-first publishers, and its mission is to “foster the viability and excellence of locally focused independent online news organizations and cultivate their connections to their communities through education and action.”
The News Revenue Hub works to help news organizations build financial sustainability, especially via strengthening membership and small-dollar donor programs, through their hands-on consulting and custom tools.
- NewsMatch is a growing annual, national matching campaign for nonprofit newsrooms. You can read more about its history and the 2019 campaign here, and you can find in-depth case studies of how newsrooms have used the campaign to the fullest here.
- Here’s an overview from Nieman Lab of the state of nonprofit news in the U.S. as of late 2019. For more detail, you can find the full 2019 INN Index report here.