The American Journalism Project is seeking a Head of Growth Investments & Support to serve as a senior leader of the organization and lead our growth capital program to provide course-changing capital and support to local news organizations across the country. The role will be an experienced and strategic nonprofit executive who can develop, deliver, and evaluate transformative support to nonprofit local nonprofit news organizations to achieve and sustain rapid growth.
The Head of Growth Investments & Support will provide end-to-end leadership of our growth investments program, through which we’ll have committed over $40M of catalytic growth capital by the end of 2025. You will steward AJP’s return on those investments, including grantmaking due diligence, our one-to-one venture support and business coaching, and steward AJP’s efforts to partner with our grantees to build a movement for local news in their markets.
This is a unique opportunity to join a growing, national movement to rebuild local news in communities across the country in a way that better serves the public, while being sustainable and independent. The American Journalism Project has raised over $130 million for the cause so far, and aims to catalyze enough investment in nonprofit local news to create a $2 billion sector by 2040, full of thriving, equitable, public service-oriented newsrooms that increase civic engagement and make communities work better for their residents.
Who we are
We’re an entrepreneurial team that’s passionate about journalism, civic engagement, and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy. We help build and grow sustainable local news organizations all over the country — through financial investment, venture support, and movement building — that are governed by, sustained by, and look like the public they serve. Since 2019, the American Journalism Project has committed more than $44M of investment in 37 nonprofit news organizations across the United States. Learn about our grantees.
Our team is deeply connected to our mission and supportive of each other’s goals and overall well-being. We aim to be an organization where everyone feels heard, respected, and valued. We are an entirely remote, distributed team and strive to maintain a healthy, fun, and productive workplace, working alongside smart, energetic colleagues who enjoy one another and the work. Meet our full team.
- Local First: We know that local journalism must serve and be led by local communities. We make a practice of listening to, and making decisions with – not for – those communities, and connecting them to find strength in each other.
- Bold Leadership: We understand the severe economic challenge facing local news and thus democracy, and we embrace a sense of possibility with courage, urgency, and perseverance.
- Constant Learning: We recognize the unknown in front of us. Therefore, we operate with humility and a commitment to continuous improvement and collaboration.
- Commitment to Equity: We commit to creating a better, more diverse, and more inclusive news media that advances human and civil rights. We actively fight against injustice and racism, and that starts with doing the work ourselves.
- Integrity: We accept the responsibility of earning trust every day. We operate with honesty, transparency, dignity, and respect, and without allegiance to party, ideology, profit, or power.
Our venture philanthropy is catalyzing the nonprofit field by building a diverse portfolio both in terms of stage and model. We invest growth capital in existing organizations, we are seeding new organizations in partnership with philanthropy and we have incubated talent-led startups pre-launch.
You will lead a team responsible for stewarding our portfolio of growth investments, and be focused on identifying promising nonprofit local news leaders and organizations, conducting due diligence and growth planning, designing multi-year investments, and delivering support across vision and strategy, talent and culture, finance and operations, and revenue generation to build sustainable nonprofit news organizations.
The Head of Growth Investments & Support will have the following responsibilities:
Lead strategy and execution of our investments in existing nonprofit news organizations and our venture support of those organizations
- Manage the due diligence that identifies outstanding organizations and maps out a three-year growth plan and investment
- Design and implement a program that drives results in the form of nonprofit news organizations that grow, diversify their revenue, attract outstanding talent, and build resiliency
- Support our full portfolio to develop the capabilities of our grantees’ leadership teams in areas such as:
- Strategic planning
- Attracting outstanding and diverse business talent into the nonprofit news sector
- Financial management and revenue planning
- Building world-class fundraising operations and revenue teams capable of fueling millions of dollars of growth
- Building and stewarding outstanding boards
- Leading organizations committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Pattern spot and identify key learnings and insights and best practices that can be communicated externally or codified into tools and disseminated across the portfolio and to the field
- Provide vision and strategy for our portfolio learning community and cohort learning
- Inform the American Journalism Project’s strategy and programming through learnings and data drawn from our portfolio
Coach leaders both internally and externally
- Directly support a portfolio of grantees, serving as a Success Partner to several nonprofit local news leaders (a Success Partner is our term for the person who provides close support to grantees and serves as their advisor and main liaison to the American Journalism Project)
- Oversee our Success Partners model, providing cross-team strategy and planning and acting as a coach to our coaches
- Elicit and share best practices across team
Who you are
We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. Research shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply for a position if they don’t meet every skill listed. At the American Journalism Project we are committed to creating a better, more diverse, and more inclusive news ecosystem, and that starts with doing the work ourselves. So if your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, but you know this is the role for you – please tell us!
An ideal candidate will have…
- Leadership experience in a nonprofit organization (experience in nonprofit news strongly preferred)
- Strong business experience in areas like fundraising, P&L management, talent & hiring, and strategic planning.
- Strong competencies in supporting the success of others through coaching, consulting, or other related experiences.
- Tolerance for ambiguity: We are building a nimble and entrepreneurial organization so we are looking for people who thrive at adapting to evolving demands and creatively solving problems.
- Willingness to travel to assess progress of grantees.
This role is a fit if you are a…
- Strategic leader: You have significant leadership experience, both setting strategy and managing teams. You thrive at understanding and navigating through complexity and setting clear strategy and prioritization for your team. You love to see a complex problem and come up with a clear solution.
- Excellent communicator: You excel at written and verbal communications. You are able to effectively communicate strategy and distill impact in a way that can inspire our board, grantees, and external stakeholders.
- Collaborative and agile: You love people and you are the kind of person that brings energy to a meeting. You excel at collaborating across teams without direct authority.
- Systems-thinker and pattern-spotter: Our goals are cross organizational and very little can be accomplished without the input and collaboration of others. You love working across teams, spotting patterns, and facilitating processes that enable effective collaboration.
- Coach: You are an excellent coach to peers and leaders and have demonstrated the ability to support others to deliver results.
- Committed to equity: You bring experience of managing across lines of difference. You’ve worked with organizations led by BIPOC and/or local nonprofits that have a track record of serving diverse communities and bring a fluency that has been shaped by those experiences.
- Bold and mission-oriented: You wake up every day terrified about the future of local news in our country but boldly optimistic that we can reimagine our country’s local news infrastructure. You work with urgency to get us there faster.
- Fun and supportive: We are working hard to reimagine the future of local news and our mission is vitally important to the future of our country. We also love the people we work with and love to laugh.
Compensation & benefits
Our total compensation package is competitive in the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors, and we are committed to supporting our team with what they need to show up every day, ready to bolster the local press our democracy deserves.
We benchmark our salaries against similar organizations, and use a scale that considers job complexity and magnitude of responsibility to determine role levels and corresponding base salaries, as well as offer regular opportunities for salary increases. The salary range for this position is $176,092 – $193,701. Read about our benefits here.
Please submit an application through our portal. Download the full job description here. If you have any questions please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Head of Growth Investments & Support” in the subject line.
The American Journalism Project is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. The American Journalism Project encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.