The American Journalism Project is seeking a Development Analyst to serve in an essential advancement role at a venture philanthropy dedicated to the growth and sustainability of civic news organizations. The role will support the efforts of our Philanthropy Team to build the American Journalism Project’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. This is an unique opportunity to contribute to the future of local news and support the next generation of civic news leaders.
We believe a trusted source of verified information forms the connective tissue that brings communities together, facilitates collaboration, and is critical for thriving, civically engaged communities. The American Journalism Project aims to catalyze a movement of nonprofit local news enterprises that rallies our country’s next generation of social entrepreneurs, philanthropists, and community leaders around this vital cause. We encourage all people who are excited by the mission and the work, regardless of background, to apply.
Who We Are
We’re an entrepreneurial team working to re-shape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement, and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy. We help build and grow sustainable local nonprofit news organizations all over the country — through financial investment, venture support, and movement building — that are governed by, sustained by and look like the public they serve.
We are a distributed team and strive to maintain a healthy, fun, and productive workplace, working alongside smart, energetic colleagues who enjoy one another and the work. The Development Analyst will be a member of our Philanthropy Team and report to the Associate Director, Strategic Partnerships. Meet our full team.
- Local First: We know that local journalism must serve and be led by local communities. We make a practice of listening to, and making decisions with – not for – those communities, and connecting them to find strength in each other.
- Bold Leadership: We understand the severe economic challenge facing local news and thus democracy, and we embrace a sense of possibility with courage, urgency, and perseverance.
- Constant Learning: We recognize the unknown in front of us, and therefore we operate with humility, a commitment to continuous improvement, and collaboration.
- Commitment to Equity: We commit to creating a better, more diverse, and more inclusive news media that advances human and civil rights. We actively fight against injustice and racism, and that starts with doing the work ourselves.
- Integrity: We accept the responsibility of earning trust every day. We operate with honesty, transparency, dignity, and respect, and without allegiance to party, ideology, profit, or power.
You’ll touch nearly every part of the development and fundraising efforts of American Journalism Project and help develop a new story about the essential role of philanthropy in nonprofit news. You’ll play a vital role in supporting local news social entrepreneurs across the country and will lay the groundwork for the future of local news in the U.S.
The Development Analyst will support our fundraising and strategic partnerships, and in this role will help grow the resources available to social entrepreneurs across the U.S. and help build out our fundraising infrastructure. They will play a central role across key areas of our development operations and pipeline management and have the following responsibilities:
Donor qualification and research
- Research donor prospects using wealth screening tools, online research, and databases
- Produce in-depth, well-written research briefs to equip our external-facing staff for outreach and meetings
- Coordinate handoff of qualified prospects
- Support efforts to maintain our CRM system, following best practices for data hygiene
- Create and maintain high quality development records in Salesforce
- Record donations on an ongoing basis in the donor database and generate gift receipts
- Do first data pulls to understand revenue stream progress
- Assist with grant writing and reporting requirements
- Assist in preparing materials for donor meetings and presentations
- Assist in maintaining accuracy of development team materials, including updating website list of supporters
- Manage team administrative duties including, scheduling meetings, syncing with the organizational calendar, monitoring the cultivation calendar and grant reporting calendar, and managing correspondence
- Support our Chief Development Officer and VP, Strategic Partnerships & Growth on expense logging
- Support team member travel planning
- Support and help execute special events, including donor engagement events, board presentations, and special fundraising events
- Manage event admin and logistics, including sending invitations, tracking RSVPs, managing correspondence, and syncing with team calendar
- Work with external vendors as necessary to execute in-person and virtual events
Who You Are
This role is a fit if you are…
- Excellent communicator: You are a strong communicator and writer with a willingness to learn and grow.
- Collaborative and agile: You love people and you are the kind of person that brings energy to a meeting. You are flexible and comfortable working in an environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve.
- Entrepreneurial and effective: We are building a nimble and entrepreneurial organization so we are looking for people who are highly organized, and comfortable and efficient working in a startup environment.
- Committed to equity: We are committed to creating a better, more diverse, and more inclusive news media that advances human and civil rights, and that starts with doing the work ourselves.
- Bold and mission-oriented: You wake up every day terrified about the future of local news in our country but boldly optimistic that we can reimagine our country’s local news infrastructure. You work with urgency to get us there faster.
- Trustworthy: You handle confidential and sensitive information with humility, professionalism, and discretion.
- Detail-oriented: You cross your Ts and dot your Is and you get energy from doing behind-the scenes work.
- Problem Solving: You love to brainstorm and come up with ideas. You look at the way things are and then imagine 20 ways they can be improved.
- Fun and supportive: We are working hard to reimagine the future of local news and our mission is vitally important to the future of our country. We also love the people we work with and love to laugh.
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- Strong organizational skills and experience managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising principles/practices and ethics
- Proficient with office software, primarily the Google Suite, including strong spreadsheet and presentation (Slides) design skills
- Comfort with Salesforce and comfortable with revenue data and Excel
- Preferred work experience in a fundraising and development environment
Bonus points if you’ve got:
- Curiosity about nonprofit journalism or a connection to our mission
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, InDesign)
Please submit an application through our portal. Download the full job description here. If you have any questions please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Analyst” in the subject line.
The American Journalism Project is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. The American Journalism Project encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.