We’re an entrepreneurial team working to reshape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement, and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy. We’re a remote team helping build and grow sustainable local nonprofit news organizations all over the country. Explore current open roles at the American Journalism Project below and learn more about how we support our team.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced and strategic leader who has a track record of pursuing and securing six- to eight-figure contributions and grants, as well as experience engaging local (place-based) communities and constituencies.
This is a role for an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and creative problem solver who has a track record of working across projects and teams to plan and execute sustainable business strategies.
This is a fully-remote, part-time Accountant / Finance Manager role (25-30 hours per week) focused on nonprofit bookkeeping and accounting. This is a role for a strategic, analytical, and collaborative individual that is well-versed in financial management and grant reporting.
We are accepting applications for a 3-month internship program which will provide interns with professional training and exposure to various aspects of launching, growing, and raising money for nonprofit newsrooms.
Is your perfect role not on the list? The American Journalism Project is always looking for unique talent to be a part of our organization and the larger field of local civic news. If you are interested in joining in our work — or that of our grantees and partners — to establish and sustain local journalism as a public good, please share your information with us. We’ll be in touch if we think you’re a fit for a position that comes available.
Interested in a role with one of our grantees?
- Development director, Capital B (remote)
- Live Event Producer, Capital B (remote)
- National Editor, Capital B (remote)
- National Investigative Reporter, Capital B (remote)
- Criminal Justice Reporter, Capital B Atlanta (Atlanta)
- Indiana Bureau Chief, Chalkbeat (Indianapolis)
- Indiana Reporter, Chalkbeat (Indianapolis)
- Director of Development, Local Markets, Chalkbeat (Location TBD)
- Prospect Strategy and Research Manager, Chalkbeat (Denver)
- Newark Reporter, Chalkbeat (Newark, N.J.)
- Events and Outreach Coordinator, City Bureau (Chicago, Ill.)
- Data reporter, CT Mirror (Hartford, Conn.)
- Federal Policy Reporter, CT Mirror (Washington, D.C.)
- Chief Executive Officer, Houston Local News Initiative (Houston)
- Editor-in-Chief, Houston Local News Initiative (Houston)
- Executive Editor, Kansas City Beacon (Kansas City, Kan.)
- Director of Careers and Culture, Marshall Project (New York)
- Outreach Manager, Marshall Project (Cleveland)
- Storytelling Editor, Marshall Project (remote)
- Justice Reporter, Mississippi Today (Ridgeland, Miss.)
- Government Accountability Reporter, MLK50 (Memphis, Tenn.)
- Environment and Energy Reporter, Mountain State Spotlight (West Virginia)
- Public Health Reporter, Mountain State Spotlight (West Virginia)
- Chief Executive Officer, Ohio Local News Initiative (Ohio)
- Managing Editor, Community, Ohio Local News Initiative (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Managing Editor, News, Ohio Local News Initiative (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Major Gifts Director, Spotlight PA (Pennsylvania)
- Membership Manager, Spotlight PA (Pennsylvania)
- Managing Editor, Underscore (Portland, Ore.)
- Texas Reporter, Votebeat (Austin, Houston, or Dallas, Tex.)
- Account Executive, VTDigger (Montpelier, Vt.)
- Director of Membership and Analytics, VTDigger (Montpelier, Vt.)
- Full-stack web developer, VTDigger (remote)
- Rutland County reporter, VTDigger, (Rutland County, Vt.)
- Account Manager, WFAE (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Digital Editor, WFAE (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Director of Development, WFAE (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Fundraising and Marketing Associate, WFAE (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Newscaster, WFAE (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Sales Operations Assistant, WFAE (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Education Reporter, Wichita Beacon (Wichita, Kan.)
- Community Representative, Wichita Beacon (Wichita, Kan.)
- Investigative Editor/Reporter (Statehouse), Wisconsin Watch (Madison, Wisconsin)
- Major Gifts Officer, Wyofile (Western Wyoming)