We’re an entrepreneurial team working to reshape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement, and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy. We’re a remote team helping build and grow sustainable local nonprofit news organizations all over the country. Explore current open roles at the American Journalism Project below and learn more about how we support our team.
The American Journalism Project is seeking a Head of Growth Investments & Support to serve as a senior leader of the organization and lead our growth capital program to provide course-changing capital and support to local news organizations across the country.
The American Journalism Project is seeking a Newsroom Strategy Lead to join its incubation team to guide, shape, and ensure the successful creation of new local newsrooms around the country.
The American Journalism Project is seeking a Special Projects Coordinator to serve a key organizational and operational support role in the nation’s first venture philanthropy dedicated to the growth and sustainability of nonprofit news organizations.
Is your perfect role not on the list? The American Journalism Project is always looking for unique talent to be a part of our organization and the larger field of local civic news. If you are interested in joining in our work — or that of our grantees and partners — to establish and sustain local journalism as a public good, please share your information with us. We’ll be in touch if we think you’re a fit for a position that comes available.
Interested in a role with one of our grantees?
- Managing Editor of Local, Capital B (remote)
- National Politics Reporter, Capital B (remote)
- Community Listening and Engagement Intern, Chalkbeat (Location TBD)
- Philadelphia Bureau Chief, Chalkbeat (Philadelphia, PA)
- Tennessee Reporter, Chalkbeat (Memphis, TN)
- Several newsroom and revenue positions, Chicago Public Media (Chicago, IL)
- Corporate Sponsorship Lead, The City (New York, NY)
- Data Reporter, THE CITY (New York, NY)
- Investigative Reporters (multiple openings), THE CITY (New York, NY)
- Newsletter Writer, THE CITY, New York, NY)
- Product Developer, THE CITY (New York, NY)
- Intern, News, THE CITY (New York, NY)
- Intern, Service and Explanatory, THE CITY (New York, NY)
- Director of Communications, City Bureau (Chicago, IL)
- Director of Product, Documenters Network, City Bureau (Chicago, IL)
- Media Sales Development Lead, Documented (New York, NY)
- Several newsroom and operations positions, Houston Local News Initiative (Houston, TX)
- Internships (multiple positions), Louisville Public Media (Louisville, KY)
- Development Operations Manager, The Marshall Project
- Major Gifts Officer, The Marshall Project
- Community Health Reporter, Mississippi Today (Mississippi)
- Audience Engagement Manager, MLK50 (Memphis, TN)
- Development Director, MLK50 (Memphis/Remote)
- Montana Free Press / ICT Indigenous Montana Legislative Fellowship, Montana Free Press, in partnership with ICT (Helena, MT)
- Summer 2023 Environmental Reporting Internship, Montana Free Press (Helena, MT or remote within MT)
- Deputy Managing Editor, Mountain State Spotlight (Charleston, WV)
- Assistant Editor, Nevada Independent (Nevada)
- Operations Coordinator, Nevada Independent (Nevada)
- Chief Financial and Operations Officer, Ohio Local News Initiative (Ohio)
- Chief Development Officer, Ohio Local News Initiative (Ohio)
- Science Reporter, Outlier Media (Detroit, MI)
- Executive Editor, San José Spotlight, (San José, CA)
- Beat Reporter, Underscore/ICT (Portland, OR)
- Reporter I, Verite, (New Orleans, LA)
- Reporter III, Verite, (New Orleans, LA)
- Deputy Managing Editor, VTDigger (Montpelier, VT)
- Account Manager, WFAE (Charlotte, NC)
- Editor, Digital News and Engagement, WFAE (Charlotte, NC)
- Midlevel Gifts Officer, WFAE (Charlotte, NC)
- Community Partnerships Manager, WyoFile (Lander, WY)
- Managing Editor, WyoFile (Lander, WY)