We’re an entrepreneurial team working to reshape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement, and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy. We’re a remote team helping build and grow sustainable local nonprofit news organizations all over the country. Explore current open roles at the American Journalism Project below and learn more about how we support our team.
This is a role for an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and creative leader who has a track record of working cross-functionally and across teams in communications, digital media, data analytics, and storytelling to advance a mission.
The VP will lead project teams of 3-5 to conduct market analysis and assess feasibility of launching new enterprises to address identified local information gaps, all in partnership with local civic leaders.
We are accepting applications for a 3-month internship program with our startup and portfolio success teams, which will provide interns with professional training and exposure to various aspects of launching, growing, and raising money for nonprofit newsrooms.
Is your perfect role not on the list? The American Journalism Project is always looking for unique talent to be a part of our organization and the larger field of local civic news. If you are interested in joining in our work — or that of our grantees and partners — to establish and sustain local journalism as a public good, please share your information with us. We’ll be in touch if we think you’re a fit for a position that comes available.
Interested in a role with one of our grantees?
- Executive Director, Beacon Media Inc. (based in Kansas or Missouri)
- Audience Editor, Capital B (remote)
- Director, Live Events, Capital B (remote)
- Community Engagement Director, City Bureau (Chicago, Illinois)
- Engagement Reporter, City Bureau (Chicago, Illinois)
- Operations Coordinator, City Bureau (Chicago, Illinois)
- Documenters Network Resource and Engagement Coordinator, City Bureau (Chicago, Illinois)
- Digital Engagement Producer, inewsource (San Diego, California)
- Philanthropy Officer, inewsource (San Diego, California)
- Business and Development Reporter, Louisville Public Media (Louisville, Kentucky)
- Chief Strategy Officer, The Marshall Project (remote)
- Controller, The Marshall Project (New York, New York)
- Director of Communications, The Marshall Project (remote)
- Director of Development Communications, The Marshall Project (remote)
- Editor-in-Chief, Cleveland, The Marshall Project (Cleveland/Cuyahoga County, Ohio)
- Managing Editor, Local, The Marshall Project (remote)
- Managing Editor, Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- Director of Talent, Open Campus (remote)
- Higher education reporter in Pittsburgh, Open Campus (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Burlington Reporter, VTDigger (Burlington, Vermont)
- Director of Membership and Events, VTDigger (Montpelier, Vermont)
- Chief Revenue Officer, WFAE (Charlotte, North Carolina)
- Director of Development, WFAE (Charlotte, North Carolina)
- Development Assistant, Wisconsin Watch (Madison or Milwaukee, Wisconsin area)
- Grants Manager, Wisconsin Watch (Wisconsin)
- Operations Administrator, Wisconsin Watch (Madison or Milwaukee, Wisconsin area)
- Beat Reporter, WyoFile (Wyoming)
- State Desk Editor, WyoFile (Wyoming)